Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Get Your Freekeh-On


A few week ago, I was afforded the opportunity to review a product called Freekeh, by Freekeh FoodsWhat is Freekeh you ask, click here to learn more!  I had my fiance go to their website and pick out some recipes that he would like to try and then we went shopping and got the ingredients for me to make everything. This is the recipe that I decided i would also like to try:  



Displaying FullSizeRender.jpg

However, i did modify it slightly to meet my tastes and it didnt turn out in the chili texture. Instead of garlic cloves, i used garlic salt.  I did not measure the amount i used. I just sprinkled it in on the veggies as they were sauteing.  Also, i precooked the freekeh so i didn't add any water to the mix.  (thus, it had a solid base instead of a liquid base like most chili's).  I sauteed all the veggies then added the tomatoes, beans, jalapeno, and tomato paste.  Then, I stirred that all together and added the freekeh. Before stirring in the freekeh, i sprinkled fajita seasoning all over. (I used that instead of chili powder).  Then i stirred in and let simmer for about 15 minutes. 



Displaying FullSizeRender.jpg
Displaying FullSizeRender.jpg
After my "Chili" had simmered and cooked for 15 minutes, it was ready to be served! My fiancé loved it!  I really liked that I hadn't added the extra water and had cooked my Freekeh prior to adding it to the mix, it made a thicker consistency and was enjoyable to eat.  My fiancé compared it to his mom's stuffed peppers- which is one of our favorite dishes to eat! I thought it even tasted better then the stuffed peppers!  Needless to say, we #LoveFreekeh and are adding #Freekeh to our menu and plan to enjoy it a few times a month! I was extremely satisfied with the product, and love that Freekeh is organic and healthy! I used to be a huge brown rice fan, but #Freekeh has up to three times the fiber and protein found in brown rice, and fewer calories than quinoa and white rice. Freekeh is a great choice to use in recipes you already enjoy, from salads, to soups, to main dishes—the cook times are comparable to brown rice, so it’s easy to choose Freekeh! (from fitapproach campaign description).

I still have the Rosemary Freekeh to try and am very excited to explore that flavor palate! :) I also had the opportunity to share some #Freekeh with a friend and sent a package to my mom! She is always looking for new recipes and healthy foods to try out and is very excited about receiving her package of Freekeh and I'm sure she will #LoveFreekeh

Overall I give Freekeh and A+ in my book and am so happy to have had the opportunity to give it a try! I cant wait to get my freekeh on again!

No comments:

Post a Comment