Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Good morning world!!!

The first 3 days of September have been very nice to me. Or maybe, for once, I'm just being kind to myself. Saturday morning, I instinctively woke up at 5:15. I was unable to fall back asleep, so after laying around for 15 minutes I got up and decided to go on run; If I can't sleep i might as well be productive. I had already promised myself the night before that i wound run 10 miles that day so why not get it done and over right away. The morning sun was just starting to peek out. The world is so quiet and peaceful at such an early hour, especially on a Saturday! I had mentally prepared a bit of the route I'd run prior to heading out. I figured having the first 6miles planned was a good start and i could figure out the rest as I ran.

On mile 3, I almost got choked up...I became overwhelmed with the beauty of the morning. At such an early hour, i felt so peaceful and serene. The sun was starting to rise and all I could think was "Thank you God". If it were not for my higher power, I may not have my sobriety and it is  because I am sober that I am able to get up at 5:30 and run 10 miles. On September 1 last year, I was sitting in the hospital. I had been admitted to detox on August 22 and after the detox phase, I was court ordered to stay as I was considered a risk. Not a risk to others but to myself and my health due to having, once again, an extremely low weight. It's amazing how things change in a years time. Here I am now, sober and healthy.

At mile 7, I decided to run along the pier. I've never done that and was feeling "adventurous" . My dad was a bit nervous when I told him this detail, as the pier is what all the break water crashes against. He was just a worried dad, afraid that I could have slipped and been "swallowed into the sea". It was exhilarating to run. I had the break water splashing into my face and I had such a great rhythm going. I felt a genuine sense of happiness. Maybe it was just a runners high, but I find it's in moments like that, that I feel my higher power with me. I have been reconnecting to my spirituality a lot lately and have found that while running its a great time for me to pray, give thanks and just talk to my higher power. 

I started feeling thirsty around mile 8.5 so I decided I'd make a point of ending my run in front of Starbucks. I'm on very good terms with those Baristas' and was able to walk in all sweaty and out of breath and have a free venti coffee handed to me as well as a venti ice water. The water was the reason I stopped there, the coffee was a plus:) I love them!

When I was on the middle of mile 8, my mind started to race. I started thinking "hey if you feel this good having gone this far maybe you should just do 13.1 and get a half out of the way" than I would argue myself with "well let's get the first two sets of 5mi out of the way before you think about adding 3 more".  I didn't do a "half" but maybe next weekend if I happen to wake up early again, ill give it a shot. Never say never ;)

Over all, i was very satisfied with how my ran went on saturday. I went into the run with "low" expectations of myself.  I mentally prepared myself to be okay with holding an 8min pace, and thats what i did.  I went for distance and not speed. If only i didn't have to look "to the 9's" at work, I'd get up early every day and run. But since i have to look good at work, ill just keep running in the hot mid-day sun during the week.
Here is the overview of Saturday's run:
Run @ 5:54am, temp: 68F Total miles: 10.35 Time: 1:25.03 average pace: 8'13"
M1- 8'14" M2- 8'20" M3- 8'43" M4- 8'26" M5- 8'08"
M6- 7'56" M7- 8'06" M8- 8'07" M9- 7'55" M10- 8'33"

unitl next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment