Monday, August 27, 2012

Unexpected times

This past Friday, after my two day break, and the whole passing out incident, i laced up my running shoes and off i went.  I was functioning on little sleep, had just worked a 12 hour day, and had very visible bags under my eyes, but not running was not an option.  I decided to switch up my normal route and headed down to the lake front.  The weather was pretty nice out (temp of 74) and once i started running any thoughts of tiredness dissipated.  I ran a small amount (3.07miles) as i was tired and didn't want to overexert myself.  Mile 2 i was faced with a few bouts of steep inclines and got stuck at a stoplight cross walk.  I thought for sure that mile 2s time was going to be around 8 minutes, but i was very pleasantly surprised.   I finished out mile 3 fairly strong, negative splitting, which always makes me happy.  The mile times are as follows:  Mile1: 6'34" Mile2: 6'52" Mile3: 6'28" completing 3 miles in 19'55" and than added in the .07mi for a finishing time of 20'10" .  Average pace was 6'33"per mile. Not bad if i may say so myself.  I seem to always run my best/fastest when I'm completely drained and worn down.

Saturday, i got in an early morning run.  I knew i had a busy day in front of me and wouldn't be able to have time in the afternoon.  I was a tad groggy and wasn't in the mood to run, but i dragged myself out of bed and did it anyways.  I decided to run the reverse of the route id run the day before.  I ran 3.03miles in a time of 21'27" holding an average pace of 7'04".  Not as good as the prior evening, but hey, i cant be a rock star every time i run.  Mile 1 was slow and i could feel it in my body.  I felt like i was on empty. Mile1:7'15" Mile2:6'47" Mile3:7'12" finishing the 3mile mark in 21'13" 

I have not run since Saturday, and i feel okay.  I'm not aching for a run or freaking out about my level of in-activeness.  Quite honestly, i feel exhausted and would much rather take a nap then put on my running shoes.  However, today is beautiful out; its a perfect day for a run.  I might have to go fuel up, take a cat nap and push myself a bit.  There really is no gain without a tad bit of pain.

"If you don't ever stop singing, your voice stays in shape. It's like the marathon runner.  You've got to run, run, run to stay in shape"  ~Sammy Hagar

No comments:

Post a Comment